Sometimes, there are problems on websites. It happens. We’re happy to diagnose these issues for you and get things working again. Here is some information about what we need from you. The more information you can provide us, the better.
Often, if you have an e-commerce website, your customers might alert you to an issue. When that happens, please try to get as much information from them as possible. This article also explains what we need to know for those issues.
What Can Go Wrong
There are many things that can go wrong – for example:
- There are several kinds of web browsers available on different computer operating systems.
- In addition to that, people can have different plugins or extensions installed in their browser, which could also affect things.
- Browser caching settings can also be an issue.
- There are network issues. Sometimes, your local network might show one thing but go to a computer on another network (at the coffee shop, at home, etc.) and the problem is gone.
- Something could be wrong with the web server.
- Something could be wrong with the payment gateway or merchant credit card account.
- Something could be wrong with the SSL certificate.
- Something could be wrong with the website programming.
Again, since the issue could be one of many things, we’ll explain to you what we need and then some common fixes or things to try.
What We Need to Know
If at all possible, try to get us as much of this information as you can:
- Which web browser are you using?
- What was the exact error that you got? We need the full, exact error message if possible.
- Can you send us a screen shot of the error?
- Where did this happen? Are you in an office network or at a coffee shop or where?
- (Any other information that you think might help)
Troubleshooting and Common Fixes
Here are some things to try:
- Force refresh the web page.
- Restart your web browser.
- Try a different web browser.
- Restart your computer.
- Try another network.
- If e-commerce, make sure the credit card is valid and funds/credit are available.
- If e-commerce, test your payment gateway.
- Is your web browser up to date?
If there still are problems, we suggest disabling all browser plugins/extensions. This could be a problem that’s just isolated to your specific computer due to plugins you are using, your operating system or your particular configuration. The more we know and the more that can be eliminated, the better.
Just emailing us and saying “there’s a problem!” is a bit like searching for a needle in a haystack. Ir’s difficult to figure out where to begin. Also, we can try it and it might work just fine for us because we’re using a different web browser or have different settings or something. The more we know, the better. Find out all you can and we’ll be glad to give support for our clients.